Join us for an upcoming webinar of authors sharing research insights from their recently published Journal of Marketing articles. We encourage you to invite your colleagues, students, and managerial colleagues that might be interested in these topics.
Date: May 2, 2019
Time: 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM (Eastern)
Topics and Authors:
“5 Ways to Reduce Consumption and Slow Climate Change”
- Summary: We live in a consumption economy. Rising global wealth fuels an increase in both individual and corporate consumption, but under-investment in sustainable business practices and infrastructure could create critical challenges ahead. Recent reports indicate we are fast spoiling our natural environment, which will have consequences for this and future generations. Researchers, policy makers, and government and corporate leaders can help consumers rethink and change their behaviors. A new study in the Journal of Marketing provides a psychological framework to foster sustainable behavior, represented by the acronym SHIFT. Eat your lunch with these professors to learn more.
- Presenters: David J. Hardisty (University of British Columbia) and Rishad Habib (University of British Columbia)
- Read the full article
“How to Extinguish an Online Brand Firestorm”
- Summary: More than 65 million firms leverage online brand communities to connect with customers and increase online reputation, brand patronage, and customer spending. However, online communities are vulnerable to online firestorms, or negative electronic word of mouth (eWOM), that receives substantial support from other customers in a short period of time. A new Journal of Marketing study explores the conditions that make eWOM go viral and how to detect, prevent, and mitigate online firestorms. The research team studied 472,995 negative customer posts across 89 online brand communities from leading S&P 500 companies. Listen to learn more.
- Presenters: Dennis Herhausen (KEDGE Business School) and Stephan Ludwig (University of Melbourne)
- Read the full article
- Webinar: Lost in a Universe of Markets: Toward a Theory of Market Scoping for Early-Stage Technologies
- 3/7/2019 | Venture capitalists are constantly looking for new startups to invest in, and research labs are their hunting grounds. This Journal of Marketing study explores the process of market scoping for early-stage technologies—a critical but underexplored marketing challenge of science commercialization.
- Webinar: Paywalls: Monetizing Online Content
- 3/7/2019 | These researchers examined the New York Times‘ paywall implementation to study how paywalls are deployed, how they impact engagement, and what effect they have on offline (print) subscriptions.
- Webinar: Does It Pay to Be Real? Understanding Authenticity in TV Advertising
- 2/7/2019 | Researchers analyzed 323 television ads across 67 brands and four years to measure the impact of authenticity on the sales of fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG).
- Webinar: Does a Customer on the Board of Directors Affect Business-to-Business Firm Performance?
- 2/7/2019 | A Journal of Marketing article examines the little-studied practice of putting a customer on a board of directors to determine whether it positively or negatively impacts firm performance.
- Webinar: Selling the Premium in Freemium
- 12/6/2018 | When done right, the freemium business model can help drive massive traffic to companies’ websites, provide a “try before you buy” experience that overcomes user resistance to paying, and convert free users to paying customers.
- Webinar: How Consumers’ Political Ideology and Status-Maintenance Goals Interact to Shape Their Desire for Luxury Goods
- 12/6/2018 | Is there such a thing as Rolex Republicans? A new study in the Journal of Marketing decidedly says yes.
- Webinar: When and How Board Members with Marketing Experience Facilitate Firm Growth
- 10/4/2018 | Companies looking to accelerate growth should appoint senior marketers to their boards. New research explains how companies can take advantage of marketing experience.
- Webinar: Why the Future of Online Shopping Is Multi-Device, Not Mobile
- 10/4/2018 | Find out why marketers and businesses should encourage multidevice shopping with tools such as cross-device shopping carts.
- Webinar: In-Store Mobile Phone Use and Customer Shopping Behavior
- 8/2/2018 | An international research team reports on the impact of mobile phone use on in-store behavior and spending.
- Webinar: Optimizing Video Content for Views and Sales
- 8/2/2018 | A breakthrough analytics-based methodology to help marketers edit trailers for online movies.
Go to the Journal of Marketing