The AMA Academic Council is a 12-member council that represents the diversity of scholarly interests in managerial, behavioral, modeling, and public policy perspectives with attention to strategic marketing implications. The AMA strives to be the most relevant force and voice shaping marketing around the world; an essential community for marketers.
In support of that mission, the AMA Academic Council advocates for the AMA academic membership and provides stewardship of Academic Special Interest Groups (SIGs), events, and related initiatives. The Academic Council operates within three core areas of service:
- My AMA/Special Interest Groups | Improve academic member and SIG experience and identify new ways to promote member value.
- AMA Thought Leadership | Improve academic conferences and collaborations between AMA journals/conferences; promote breadth and depth of AMA intellectual assets and members.
- AMA Community Advantage/Inclusive AMA | Leverage the tremendous wealth of the AMA scholarly journals, serve as a liaison with the Vice President of Publications and AMA Publications Policy Committee to advise on content related to the AMA Journal Reader, Scholarly Insights, and Editors’ Perspectives.
Academic Council members serve a three-year term that starts in July and ends in June three years later. In-person meetings occur on the Thursday and Friday morning prior to the Summer and Winter conferences. A Call for Nominations for members will open in July. The deadline for submission of a nomination is February 10, 2020, for open positions (term of July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2023).
The Executive Committee of the Academic Council is made up of four Academic Council members with designated positions of President, President-Elect, President-Elect Designate, and Immediate Past President. The responsibilities of this committee are to set the agenda for the Academic Council and to identify new members to the Executive Committee and the Academic Council at large.
- Learn more about how the AMA Academic Council engages and services the academic community.
- See the current members of the AMA Academic Council.
Current Members of the AMA Academic Council
Anders Gustafsson (Executive Committee Term Ends 2021)
BI Norwegian Business School
Aric Rindfleisch (Executive Committee Term Ends 2022)
Professor of Business Administration and John M. Jones Professor of Marketing
University of Illinois
Koen Pauwels (Executive Committee Term Ends 2023)
Professor of Marketing
Immediate Past President
Vanitha Swaminathan (Executive Committee Term Ends 2020)
Thomas Marshall Professor of Marketing
University of Pittsburgh
Lerzan Aksoy (Term 2019 – 2022)
Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies and Professor of Marketing
Sundar Bharadwaj (Term 2019 – 2022)
The Coca-Cola Company Chair of Marketing
University of Georgia
Simon Blanchard (Term 2018 – 2021)
Beyer Family Associate Professor of Marketing
Satish Jayachandran (Term 2018 – 2021)
James F. Kane Professor of Business
University of South Carolina
Bryan Lukas (Term 2018 – 2021)
Professor of Marketing
University of Manchester
Anne Roggeveen (Term 2017 – 2020)
Charles Clarke Reynolds Professor of Retailing and Marketing
Maura Scott (Term 2017 – 2020)
Professor of Marketing, Madeline Duncan
Rolland Professor of Business Administration
Florida State University
Karen Winterich (Term 2018 – 2021)
Professor of Marketing and Frank and Mary Smeal Research Fellow of Marketing
Pennsylvania State University