Being the only marketing professional in an organization can be energizing and challenging, but some days it can also be lonely and frustrating.
In this hands-on session, you’ll learn how to set up and run an impactful marketing department, even if you’re the only person on the marketing team. We’ll help you develop a solid foundation for leading your organization’s marketing more strategically and efficiently. The major aspects of running a marketing department will be covered, including messaging, building a marketing plan, measurement, working with sales teams, customer research techniques and the magic of creative briefs. Better still, you’ll hear firsthand how your fellow classmates have tackled problems similar to your own.
Bring relevant documents such as current marketing plans, calendars, budgets, corporate strategic plan, and any customer research or feedback you’ve gathered. No problem if you don’t have all or even any of this, you’ll make a lot of progress in this class regardless of your starting point.
|Early Bird (Before 06/17/19)||Standard Price|
Use the code “EARLYONE19” at checkout for early-bird pricing.
- Learn how to develop a positioning statement for your company or product
- Understand how to bridge a positioning statement to a marketing messaging
- See how to measure the effectiveness of your marketing plan
- Determine the best approach for building your company’s marketing plan
- Recognize when it’s time to hire an agency or other outside creative resources
Who Should Attend
Marketing professionals who are responsible for both creating and executing the marketing for organizations of all sizes and types. While the curriculum is tailored to marketers working in smaller departments, the course will have applications for anyone leading a marketing organization.
Interview with the Instructor
Tuesday, July 16
Registration and Hot Breakfast
We’ll kick off the day with a nice breakfast so you’ll have energy for the day. You’ll also be provided with lunch and breaks throughout the day.
Research Basics: Understanding Your Customer Better
- Qualitative versus Quantitative
- Asking Good Questions
- Net Promoter Score
- Exercise: Draft a research plan
Defining Your Target Customer
- Who’s Your Target
- Exercise: Who’s in Your Bull’s Eye?
- Tool: Persona Worksheet
- Tool: Positioning Formula
- Unmet need and the problem you’re solving
- Exercise: Beers with Peers
- Defining Your Competitive Set
- Exercise: Where’s Your Sandbox
- Exercise: Who’s Your Competition
- Identifying a Strong Point of Difference
- Exercise: Stand Out From the Crowd
- Exercise: Climbing Your Benefit Ladder
- The Reasons to Believe your Point of Difference
- Exercise: No BS
- Bridging from Positioning to Messaging and Elevator Pitches
- Tool: Messaging Matrix
- Exercise: Building Messaging Bridges
Networking Reception (Optional)
Wednesday, July 17
Breakfast will be waiting for you when you arrive for day two. Lunch and breaks will be provided throughout the day.
Developing Your Marketing Plan
- Preparing to Build a Marketing Plan
- Exercise: Marketing Pulse Check
- Exercise: Competitive Detective
- Tool: Audit Matrix
- Setting Your Plan Objectives
- Tool: Planning Worksheet
- Marketing Strategies
- Exercise: Establishing Key Strategies
- The Wonderful World of Tactics
- Exercise: Tactical Goodie Bag
- How to Approach Budgeting
- Exercise: The Price is Right
- Metrics Overview
- Tool: Sample Metrics
- Exercise: Measure Twice Cut Once
- Marketing Calendar
- Exercise: The View From Five Hundred Feet
- Tool: Calendar Template
Putting Your Plan into Action
- Creative Brief
- Exercise: Draft a Creative Brief
- Tool: Creative Brief Template
- Agency Hiring
- Exercise: Perfect Fit
- Tool: Agency Assessment Grid
- How to Be a Great Client
Susan SilverPresident, Argentum Strategy Group
Susan Silver is a marketing expert with almost 30 years of experience working with businesses ranging from those in the Fortune 100 to pre-revenue startups. Her company, Argentum Strategy Group, provides strategic marketing assistance to small and mid-sized B2B and B2C companies. Prior to founding Argentum, Silver held positions in sales at Procter & Gamble, market research at Westvaco, and marketing, general management, and P&L leadership at Kraft Foods. An Entrepreneur-in-Residence for Future Founders, Silver has also been the marketing coach for the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business’ New Venture Challenge and a guest lecturer at Northwestern University’s Kellogg Graduate School of Management. Silver currently sits on the advisory boards of TopStepTrader and ZipFit Denim.
Training Series Location
Grand Hyatt Atlanta In Buckhead
3300 Peachtree Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30305
Please call 877-803-7534 for additional assistance reserving your room. The group rate expires on July 1. If the group rate is no longer available, current rates may be offered for some or all of your dates.
Air Travel Discount
The AMA has teamed up with Delta Air Lines to offer a special discount on air travel. Click here to get started. You can also call the Delta Meeting Network at (800) 328-1111 and refer to meeting code NY2M7. There is not a service fee for reservations booked and ticketed via this service.
Conference attire is business casual. Meeting rooms tend to be cool, so you may wish to bring a sweater/jacket.
Area Attractions, Events and Tourism
Please visit the Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau for additional city information.
The AMA is committed to providing equal access to our meetings for all attendees. If you are an attendee with a disability and require program accommodations, please contact the AMA Support Center at (800) AMA-1150. A member of our staff will ensure that appropriate access arrangements are made. If you have specific disability-related needs for your hotel sleeping room, please be sure to communicate those directly to the hotel when you make your reservation. In an effort to provide the highest quality of service to all attendees, we require that details of all access requests be communicated to our office at least 14 days in advance of the beginning of the meeting.