Turning Disorder into Opportunity
Now that we have some knowledge of what breaks, what works and what thrives during an unexpected event with an extreme impact like the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent economic crises, what will we do with this knowledge?
As marketers, we can build strategies that don’t just survive but actually gain from disruption. It helps us not only develop value for our organization, but also shows our skills make us indispensable professionals across any situation our company or clients find themselves in.
Author Nassim Nicholas Taleb coined the term Antifragile to describe entities and organizations that gain from disorder, and its concepts have been applied to everything from economics to leadership. This interactive virtual training brings those principles to marketing.
- 3 hours of live instruction (starting at 11 a.m. CDT)
- Interactive Q&A and hands-on exercises
- Resources, tips and best practices
After completing registration, you will receive a purchase receipt. We will email you the information for accessing this training closer to the event.
AMA Members Get Best Pricing and More
Not only do AMA members get discounts on trainings like this one, but they also receive exclusive content, downloadable tools, unlimited digital access to AMA academic journals and newly added benefits every week. It’s all for a low price of $149/year. (That’s only $12.42/month.)
- Understand what antifragile means, and how it can help you, your marketing team, and your organization thrive when the unexpected hits
- Embrace new mental models to see and understand the world and the disruptive events that shape it so you can react and make decisions more eﬀectively
- Learn principles for living an antifragile professional life, and how these principles can be applied to building antifragile marketing strategies
Who Should Attend?
This training is for marketing leaders who are faced with planning marketing communications strategies and activities in volatile, complex, and ambiguous times like these.
Founder and Strategist, Three Over Four
Aaron Templer is a leadership and marketing consultant with a music problem. As an award-winning, 20+ year marketing leader, Templer explores influence at the intersection of leadership and marketing through speaking, teaching and writing. He runs a marketing firm (Three Over Four), is an award-winning AMA chapter past president, professional instructor, and AMA Professional Chapters Council volunteer.
AMA Event Policies
Wednesday, September 9 (All Times CDT)
Back to Basics: What is Strategy and Why Is It Important?
- Business strategy vs. strategy through a marketing lens
- Strategy. Not strategies.
- Opportunity -> Strategy -> Action
- Up for discussion in the digital world
- Goals -> Strategy -> Objectives -> KPIs
- How a good strategy helps
- Clarity of direction
- Understanding results
- Aligning tactics
- The importance of understanding business
- People -> Process -> Tools
- People will do the work.
- Antifragile sneak peak, and how it can apply to strategy
- All eggs in one basket vs. the barbell
Mental Models and Frameworks for Today’s Reality
- Cooperation vs. competition
- Maps vs. Territories
- Black swans
- Systems and ecosystems thinking
- Probabilistic thinking
- Second-order thinking
- Inversion thinking
- Feedback loops
- Taking the third perspective first
- Social capital and “brokers” of network holes
- DEI principals as critical systemic principles, not nice-to-haves
- Neglect vs. malice perspectives (Hanlon’s Razor)
- Simplicity vs. plurality (Occam’s Razor)
Antifragility in Life and Marketing
- Antifragile: A deeper dive
- Simplifying the organization
- Time horizons
- Keeping an open mind
- Seeing options
- Always learning
- Experimenting: take the small risks
- Respecting the old……while embracing the new
- Redundancy in planning
- Accepting and accounting for randomness