The American Marketing Association’s First-Generation Mentoring Program supports undergraduate students who are the first in their families to attend college. Through this program, First-Generation students will be matched with mentors that are experienced professionals in the Marketing field. This program provides the environment, advice and resources they need to pursue their career interest in marketing and advertising. With the support of the AMA Collegiate Communities team, Mentors and Student Mentees will participate in professional and personal development as well as foster their own Mentor/Mentee relationship over the course of one calendar year – from January 2023 to December 2023.
Every mentorship relationship will be unique based on what the matched mentors/mentees want out of it, but this program provides an avenue for connection to someone who is currently in the field and is eager to share their experience and knowledge with the next generation of Marketing professionals.
Who Should Apply?
- First-Generation undergraduate students
- Students whose parent or guardian did not complete a four-year college or university degree
- Students of all class years with an interest in Marketing are encouraged to apply
- Marketing/Business professionals with an interest in becoming a mentor to undergraduate students
- A one-on-one mentoring relationship with a first-gen undergraduate student interested in the Marketing field for one calendar year, and potentially beyond!
- Resources, guidance, and support for Mentors and Mentees provided by the AMA Collegiate Communities team
- An exclusive Mentorship Program Slack Channel to network and share information with fellow mentees and mentors
- Virtual Forum calls with all program participants during the Spring, Summer, and Fall semester
- Mentor Coffee Chats with the AMA Collegiate Communities team (a once-per-semester call for Mentors to check in with the AMA on how the program is going)
- Regular check-ins from the AMA Collegiate Communities team throughout the year
- A unique networking opportunity through a one-on-one relationship with a Marketing professional, that will be matched to you by the AMA based on your interests and goals
- Guidance in the pursuit of your professional and personal development goals
- Real-world connection to the Marketing field
Timeline of the Application Process
- November 7, 2022 – December 12, 2022: Student and Mentor Application Period
- December 2022 – January 2023: Mentor/Mentee pair matching by the AMA
- Early-Mid January 2023: Mentor training call
- By the end of January 2023: Mentor/Mentee pairs will be announced, and the program begins
The application period is now closed. Please email Riley Fickett at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.