Garrett A. Johnson, Randall A. Lewis and Elmar I. Nubbemeyer have been selected as the recipients of the annual Paul E. Green Award for their article “Ghost Ads: Improving the Economics of Measuring Online Ad Effectiveness,” which appeared in the December 2017 issue (Vol. 54, No. 6) of Journal of Marketing Research.
The award honors the Journal of Marketing Research article published in 2017 that demonstrates the most potential to contribute significantly to the practice of marketing research. The committee overseeing the selection process comprised Sachin Gupta (chair), Gary Lilien and Russ Winer. In recognizing the winning paper, the committee made the following comment:
The “Ghost Ads” paper contributes important new methodologies to the age-old problem of measurement of advertising effects. These methodologies offer the promise of substantially changing the economics of advertising effects measurement favorably. As a consequence, academics and practitioners should be more willing to run experiments to learn when and how advertising works. The committee was especially impressed that despite their newness, the proposed methodologies have already had a large impact in practice, and continue to influence the digital advertising industry.
In addition to the winning paper, the seven other excellent finalists for the award were:
- Identifying the Presence and Cause of Fashion Cycles in Data, Hema Yoganarasimhan, | Volume 54, Issue 1 (February 2017) – 40
- A Meta-Analysis of Marketing Communication Carryover Effects, Christine Köhler, Murali K. Mantrala, Sönke Albers and Vamsi K. Kanuri | Volume 54, Issue 6 (December 2017) – 40
- Beyond the Target Customer: Social Effects of Customer Relationship Management Campaigns, Eva Ascarza, Peter Ebbes, Oded Netzer and Matthew Danielson | Volume 54, Issue 3 (June 2017) – 38
- Can Offline Stores Drive Online Sales?, Kitty Wang and Avi Goldfarb | Volume 54, Issue 5 (October 2017) – 38
- The Rise of the Sharing Economy: Estimating the Impact of Airbnb on the Hotel Industry, Georgios Zervas, Davide Proserpio and John W. Byers | Volume 54, Issue 5 (October 2017) – 38
- What Are Likes Worth? A Facebook Page Field Experiment, Daniel Mochon, Karen Johnson, Janet Schwartz and Dan Ariely | Volume 54, Issue 2 (April 2017) – 38
- Does “Liking” Lead to Loving? The Impact of Joining a Brand’s Social Network on Marketing Outcomes, Leslie K. John, Oliver Emrich, Sunil Gupta and Michael I. Norton | Volume 54, Issue 1 (February 2017) – 36