Current Issue

AMA members may order additional subscriptions at a reduced cost.
Not an AMA member? You may still order AMA publications online​.​​​​​​


Volume 53, Issue 1

February 2016

Eye Tracking Reveals Processes That Enable Conjoint Choices to Become Increasingly Efficient with Practice

Martin Meißner, Andres Musalem, and Joel Huber

  • ​Eye tracking of repeated conjoint choices reveals the robustness and effectiveness of conjoint for those seeking to measure the central goals that drive choices in the marketplace.

The Downstream Consequences of Problem-Solving Mindsets: How Playing with LEGO Influences Creativity

C. Page Moreau and Marit Gundersen Engeset​

Is a 70% Forecast More Accurate Than a 30% Forecast? How Level of a Forecast Affects Inferences About Forecasts and Forecasters

Rajesh Bagchi and Elise Chandon Ince

  • In prediction contexts, consumers judge higher forecasts (e.g., a 70% chance of team A winning agame) as being more accurate relative to lower forecasts (e.g. 30% chance of Team A winning); the forecaster making a higher (vs. lower) forecast is also judged as being more confident, as having conducted a more in-depth analysis, and as be more trustworthy.

The Perils of Proactive Churn Prevention Using Plan Recommendations: Evidence from a Field Experiment

Eva Ascarza, Raghuram Iyengar, and Martin Schleicher

  • We show that being proactive and encouraging customers to switch to cost-minimizing plans can, surprisingly, increase rather than decrease customer churn.​ 

Cross-Validation of Customer and Employee Signals and Firm Valuation

Christopher Groening, Vikas Mittal, and Yan “Anthea” Zhang

How Experience Variety Shapes Postpurchase Product Evaluation

Jordan Etkin and Aner Sela

  • Across many different products and usage scenarios, we find the same result: When people perceived more variety among a product's usage situations, they like the product less​.

Modeling Heterogeneity in the Satisfaction, Loyalty Intention, and Shareholder Value Linkage: A Cross-Industry Analysis at the Customer and Firm Levels

Bart Larivière, Timothy L. Keiningham, Lerzan Aksoy, Atakan Yalçin, Forrest V. Morgeson III and Sunil Mithas​

When Do Consumers Avoid Imperfections? Superficial Packaging Damage as a Contamination Cue

Katherine White, Lily Lin, Darren W. Dahl, and Robin J. B. Ritchie

  • The current research examined consumers’ avoidance of products with superficial packaging damage when such damage does not pose real safety concerns. Due to the large amount of products that are discarded each year due to packaging imperfections, it is important to examine factors that motivate this avoidance behavior from consumers.

The Effect of Fitness Branding on Restrained Eaters’ Food Consumption and Postconsumption Physical Activity

Joerg Koenigstorfer and Hans Baumgartner

  • Fitness food puts restrained eaters in double jeopardy: it makes them eat more and exercise less.

Crafting a JMR Manuscript

Werner J. Reinar