Gary L. Lilien Practice Prize
The INFORMS Society for Marketing Science welcomes entries for its 2022 Practice Prize Competition; Deadline 8 Jan 2022
Author: Koen Pauwels
Call for Submissions
The 2022 Gary L. Lilien ISMS-MSI Practice Prize Competition
The INFORMS Society for Marketing Science (ISMS) solicits entries for the 2022 Practice Prize Competition, the culmination of which will take place at the:
2022 ISMS Marketing Science Conference
Goal: The goal of the Practice Prize is to highlight and celebrate outstanding marketing science work that has had significant organizational impact.
Prize Committee: The Prize Committee will be chaired by Professor Koen Pauwels (Vice President Practice, ISMS).
Eligibility: The Practice Prize is awarded for outstanding implementation of marketing science concepts and methods. The methods used must be innovative, sound, and appropriate to the problem and organization, and the work should have had significant, verifiable, and preferably quantitative impact on the performance of the client organization. Historically, two types of entries have been recognized: (1) a history of successful applications across time and/or organizations and (2) a single, impactful application. For the latter type of entry, the work should normally be completed within the five-year period prior to the year of the competition: work done between July 2016 and June 2021 will be eligible to enter the 2022 competition. Prior publication of the work does not disqualify it, and several past finalists and winners were published before the prize. Anyone is eligible to enter except members of the judging committee.
Entry and Details: Entrants must submit:
- a 500-1000 word Abstract of the work, and
- An Impact Statement, a supplementary summary of what was accomplished and its organizational impact in enough detail (normally 500-1000 words) to judge the appropriateness of the work for the competition.
- Supplementary technical material that provides sufficient technical detail to permit the Prize Committee to judge the technical merit of the work.
Usually, three or four competition finalists will be selected from amongst the entries.
Finalists will present their work at the 2022 ISMS Marketing Science Conference and the judging will take place immediately thereafter. The winner (or, in unusual circumstances, winners) will be announced at the Conference. Finalists will have the right to submit their work to Marketing Science in the Practice Prize submission category.
For a summary of some previous Finalists see Lilien, Roberts and Shankar (Marketing Science 32.2 (2013): 229-245).
- Send your drafts for feedback*: Ongoing till December 31, 2021
- Submissions due: January 8, 2022
- Finalists notified: February 15, 2022
- Finalist Papers due: April 15, 2022
- Feedback on final submissions: May 16, 2022
- Presentations at the 2022 ISMS Marketing Science Conference: June 2022
* If desired, the Chair of the committee will help guide potential entrants on how to develop the most compelling and rigorous entry, how to obtain client support and endorsement or address any other questions they might have.
Examples: To view presentations from past finalists and winners, see
Published articles of previous finalists can be found in various issues of Marketing Science.
Direct questions about the process or eligibility to the Chair of the Practice Prize Competition (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Gary Lilien (Glilien@psu.edu). If you feel as though you have an impactful piece of research in an industry setting but are uncertain if it is appropriate to the Prize, please do not hesitate to contact me or Gary.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
ISMS Vice President – Practice