Journal of Marketing News – August 2020
Call for papers, Summer AMA, forthcoming articles
POSTING TYPE: Journal News
Author: Christine Moorman
Call for Manuscripts: Marketing in the Healthcare Sector, Special Issue of the Journal of Marketing
Healthcare is vital to our interconnected world. As the world faces a pandemic of a magnitude not witnessed for over 100 years, we are reminded of its fundamental role. Consumers (patients) seek health, healthcare providers and institutions work to deliver care, insurance companies and governments monitor its costs, markets compete on it, policy regulates it, and society benefits from its successes or is challenged by its failings. Marketing as a discipline, however, has not lived up to its potential contributions to this important aspect of our lives. This Journal of Marketing Special Issue is dedicated to promoting research on healthcare marketing with the goal of improving knowledge of this critical research domain.
- Review the call for papers, including relevant topics, types of papers, and editorial review process.
- Attend a Special Session at the Summer AMA launching the Special Issue: This session will launch the Special Issue by overviewing its objectives and potential topics. Scholars from across the marketing discipline will share a short description of their own views on the key unanswered questions facing marketing in the healthcare sector so as to inspire your involvement in this topic and in the Special Issue. Speakers: Len Berry (Texas A&M University), Punam Keller (Dartmouth College), Irina Kozlenkova (University of Virginia), Cait Lamberton (University of Pennsylvania), John Lynch (University of Colorado), Detelina Marinova (University of Missouri) and Jagdip Singh (Case Western University), Vikas Mittal (Rice University), Maura Scott (Florida State University), Steve Shugan (University of Florida), Hari Sridhar (Texas A&M University), S. Sriram (University of Michigan), and Rick Staelin (Duke University). Ph.D. Student Scribes: Hayoung Cheon (University of Michigan) and Nah Lee (Duke University)
- The Special Session will be held on 8/18 from 9:15-10:30AM Eastern. To register and to review the program, including all of the master classes, visit: https://event.amasummer2020.exordo.com/
Join Best Paper Award Sessions at the Summer AMA: https://event.amasummer2020.exordo.com/
- Journal of Marketing AMA/MSI/Root Winner Session: This session will celebrate the winner of the 2019 AMA/MSI/Root Award: “Knowing What It Makes: How Product Transformation Salience Increases Recycling.” The award is given to the article that has made the most significant contribution to the advancement of the practice of marketing in a calendar year.
- Winning Authors: Karen Page Winterich (Penn State University), Gergana Y. Nenkov (Boston College), and Gabriel E. Gonzales (SUNY- New Paltz)Alec Cooley, Senior Advisor, Busch Systems (former Director of Recycling Programs, Keep America Beautiful)
- Scott Breen, VP of Sustainability, Can Manufacturers Institute
- Short video presentation from Paul Polman’s remarks during the Responsible Research Virtual Summit 2020 (see Responsible Research in Business & Management: http://rrbm.network) on June 29, 2020. Mr. Paul Polman is Chair of Imagine, Vice-Chair of the UN Global Compact, and former CEO of Unilever.
- Session time: Tuesday, 8/18 @ 12:15 – 1:30PM Eastern
- Journal of Marketing JM/Sheth Winner Session: The CMO Matters! This session will celebrate the winner of the 2020 JM/Sheth Award: “The Chief Marketing Officer Matters!” The award honors the best article published in Journal of Marketingthat has made long-term contributions to the field of marketing. An article is eligible for consideration to receive the award in the fifth year after its publication. The authors will begin by presenting a summary of their research findings. This will be followed by practitioner presentations and discussion about how, when and why CMOs matter in their organizations.
- Winning Authors: Frank Germann (University of Notre Dame), Peter Ebbes (HEC), and Rajdeep Grewal (Penn State University)
- CEO/CMO Panel Participants: Tarun Chugh (CEO, Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance, India), Alicia Tillman (Global CMO, SAP), and Bill Stewart (CMO, Chief Outsiders and Former CMO of Kmart, Levi-Strauss and Company, and Credit Karma)
- Session time: Wednesday, 8/19 @ 9:15 – 10:30AM Eastern
- Journal of Marketing Hunt/Maynard Winner Session: This session will celebrate the winner of the 2019 Hunt/Maynard Award: “Lost in a Universe of Markets: Toward a Theory of Market Scoping for Early-Stage Technologies.” The award is given to the article that has made the most significant contribution to marketing theory in a given calendar year. The authors will begin by presenting a summary of their research findings. This will be followed by commentaries and discussion about its relevance for future research by leading scholars.
- Winning Authors: Sven Molner (University of London), Jaideep C. Prabhu (Cambridge University), and Manjit S. Yadav (Texas A&M University)
- Ajay Kohli (Georgia Tech University)
- Gerry Tellis (University of Southern California)
- Session time: Wednesday, 8/19 @ 10:45AM – 12:00PM Eastern
Journal of Marketing AE/ERB Meeting at Summer AMA
- Review teams should pick a meeting and hold it—notices will be sent by the AMA for these by-invitation only meetings. We will host two different meetings in order to meet with more of you in different time zones.
- Thursday, 8/20 @ 9:15 – 10:30AM Eastern: JM ERB Meeting #1
- Thursday, 8/20 @ 8:00 – 9:15PM Eastern: JM ERB Meeting #2
Recently Accepted Journal of Marketing articles:
- Penny for Your Preferences: Leveraging Self-Expression to Encourage Small Prosocial Gifts (Jacqueline R. Rifkin, Katherine M. Du, and Jonah Berger)
- The Impact of Advertising and R&D on Bankruptcy Survival: A Double-Edged Sword (Niket Jindal)
- Strong Anxiety Boosts New Product Adoption When Hope Is Also Strong (Yu-Ting Lin, Deborah J. MacInnis, and Andreas B. Eisengerich)
- Carbon Footprinting and Pricing Under Climate Concerns (Marco Bertini, Stefan Buehler, Daniel Halbheer, and Donald R. Lehmann)
- Price No Object!: The Impact of Power Distance Belief on Consumers’ Price Sensitivity (Hyejin Lee, Ashok K. Lalwani, and Jessie J. Wang)
- Coins Are Cold and Cards Are Caring: The Effect of Pregiving Incentives on Charity Perceptions, Relationship Norms, and Donation Behavior (Bingqing (Miranda) Yin, Yexin Jessica Li, and Surendra Singh)
Stay in touch with the Journal of Marketing:
- Sign up to receive JM publication alerts: https://journals.sagepub.com/connected/JMX#email-alert
- Website: https://www.ama.org/journal-of-marketing/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/JofMarketing
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/ama-journal-of-marketing