The World’s Hospitality Industry
The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic, Special issue of the International Journal of Hospitality Management; Deadline 1 Jul
INTEREST CATEGORY: SECTORS
POSTING TYPE: Calls: Journals
Author: Manuel Rivera
CALL FOR PAPERS FOR A SPECIAL ISSUE ON: The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the World’s Hospitality Industry
For PDF version: Call for papers ijhm
For online version: Call for paper ijhm
Editor in Chief: Dr. Manuel Rivera Guest Editor: Dr. Abraham Pizam
The Call for papers for this Special Issue aims to explicitly provide a comprehensive collection of conceptual, empirical and case study articles on the devastating impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on the hospitality industry, worldwide. At present, the COVID-19 virus has negatively affected the lives of billions of people in 211 countries and territories. The current estimate is that the virus has already infected more than 3.2 million people and caused more than 229,000 deaths (Worldometer, 2020). However, the truth of the matter is that we do not know yet the accurate number of people who have been infected by the virus and how many more will die until a cure and vaccine will be widely available. What we do know, is that the pandemic has negatively affected every single industry on the globe, but none has been so severely affected as the hospitality and tourism industries. Hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions, conference and convention venues, cruise lines, airlines, travel agencies, tour operators, to name just a few, ceased to operate or curtailed their operation to a fraction of their capacity. Tens of millions of people lost their jobs and thousands of businesses will go bankrupt.
Thus, the purpose of this special issue is to examine the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the world hospitality industry and all of its stakeholders, such as employers, employees, customers, suppliers and vendors including manufacturers of goods and providers of services to the hospitality industry, local and regional economies, communities at large, etc.
Topics of Interest (partial list):
- The psychological effects of being unemployed and isolated at home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The personal economic and social effects of being unemployed and isolated at home due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- The local, regional or national economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the hospitality industry.
- Case studies on the socio-economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on a particular country, city, local community or an economic sector.
- Case studies on public or private hospitality enterprises that managed to survive during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Lessons learned from the COVID-19 pandemic and its devastating effects on the hospitality industry
- The effects of COVID-19 pandemic on the attractiveness of hospitality jobs and occupations ;
- Methods of recovering from the devastating effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the hospitality industry.
- Other related topics
The submitted articles may be conceptual, empirical or case studies. The research methodologies could be quantitative, qualitative or mixed modes. Individual papers should not exceed 8,000 words, even though articles up to 10,000 words may be accepted if the type of analysis justifies this.
Each submission will undergo the following accelerated review procedure:
- The Guest Editor will review the article for general suitability.
- If determined to be suitable, a number of reviewers will be selected for a fast reviewprocess to last no more than 14 days.
- Based on the recommendation of the reviewers, the Guest Editor in consultation with the Editor-in-Chief will decide within seven days whether the particular submission should be accepted as is, revised, or rejected.
Deadline for Submission
Submissions open: 8 May 2020
Submissions deadline:1 July 2020
Expected date of publication: August 2020 (online)
Submission must be uploaded via Editorial Manager ®
Worldometer (2020), Countries where COVID-19 has Spread, Retrieved from www.Worldometer.info on April 30, 2020