EMAC/Sheth Foundation Dissertation Competition
Deadline 16 Jan 2019
New generations of marketing experts are crucial to develop the theories and tools that shape the future of our field. The EMAC/Sheth Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Competition recognizes and encourages this emerging talent. This distinguished award will be presented in 2019 for the third time.
Three finalists will be honored with cash prizes and the opportunity to present their work at the EMAC 48th Annual Conference in Hamburg, Germany.
Increase the reach of your dissertation–apply for the 2019 EMAC/Sheth Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Competition
- Doctoral students who have completed or will complete their degrees in 2018 are welcome to apply.
- Either the advisor or the applicant should be an EMAC member in 2018 (Click here to join EMAC- Note that the system will propose 2019 by default. Scroll down to select 2018).
- Doctoral students are eligible for the EMAC / Sheth Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Competition – whether their dissertations have been published or not. In other words, publication is not necessary, but also does not represent a disadvantage to any entrant.
- No individual can apply for the award more than once or submit more than one topic for consideration.
Selection committee’s decision is final, and entrants have no legal recourse.
Submissions will be judged based on a defined set of criteria:
- Is it interesting?
- What is the contribution over and above existing literature?
- What is the significance of the managerial contribution?
- How valid are the research conclusions?
The selection committee will be comprised of the EMAC VP Publications (Chair), EMAC VP Global Relations, EMAC VP Corporate Relationships. In case a committee member has a conflict of interest with a submission, s/he will not be involved in evaluating that submission or will be replaced by a Senior Editor of IJRM.
The selection committee chair and the VP Corporate Relationships will select two external reviewers for each submission, unless they judge the summary to be inappropriate or of insufficient quality. Based on the outside reviews and a subsequent evaluation by the entire selection committee, three finalists will be selected to present their summaries to the committee at the EMAC 48th Annual Conference in Hamburg. The committee will then select the first, second and third place winners, and their names will be announced at the conference.
In order to be considered for the awards, the three finalists must present their research at the EMAC 48th Annual Conference in Hamburg, Germany. They will be honored with a certificate a cash prize (1st place: EUR 5,000; 2nd place: EUR 3,000; 3rd place: EUR 1,000).
Please submit the following (all materials must be in English):
- A single, coherent summary derived from your dissertation, following IJRM style (no more than 20 double-spaced pages, including all figures, tables, and references).
- The summary should NOT be an overview of your entire dissertation but only on the main research project. In addition, please provide enough details so that external examiners can determine the technical merit and potential impact of your work.
- An abstract as a separate document (no more than 2 pages).
- An optional technical appendix, if desired, explaining your methodology (no more than 10 pages).
- If relevant, a table of the papers of your dissertation with the names of the coauthors and, if already published, names of the journal(s) in which published (no more than 1 page).
The total length of your submission (not including the abstract & table of papers) should not exceed 30 pages. Shorter submissions are welcome.
No author information should be mentioned on the summary or on the separated abstract, as they will be DOUBLE-BLIND reviewed. If these documents contain any information identifying you or your co-author(s), your submission will be removed from further consideration.
To consider your submission, we must receive all application materials by January 16, 2019 15:00 CET Time.
Finalists will be notified in April 2019.
If you have questions, please contact:
EMAC Executive Secretary
Phone: +32 2 226 66 67