Call for Nominations for INFORMS Society for Marketing Science, Marketing Science Fellows 2011; Deadline 11 Jan 2011
Call for Nominations
ISMS Marketing Science Fellows 2011
The ISMS Fellows selection committee would like to solicit nominations for the 2011 ISMS Fellows award. Nominations should be emailed to Chuck Weinberg (Weinberg@sauder.ubc.ca), who is the current chair of the selection committee. Please use the subject heading Fellows Nomination. The deadline for submissions is January 11, 2011.
The ISMS Fellow Award recognizes cumulative long term contribution to the mission of ISMS. The mission of ISMS is “…to foster the development, dissemination, and implementation of knowledge, basic and applied research, and science and technologies that improve the understanding and practice of marketing.” While the ISMS Fellow award recognizes past accomplishments and is an honor, it is also meant to encourage responsibility. ISMS Fellows are expected to provide leadership and support for the ISMS community.
A nominee for the Fellow Award must have been a full member or retired member of INFORMS/ISMS for at least 10 consecutive years immediately prior to the nomination or must have been a member of INFORMS/ISMS for at least 15 years cumulative. (The selection committee will verify this once a person has been nominated.) The selection committee will look at four categories when deciding on the awardees.
- Research – Includes impact through quantity and quality of published work in INFORMS journals, and recognition through ISMS/INFORMS awards (e.g., Bass, Little and other INFORMS awards).
- Education – Includes activities that had significant impact on the growth and development of education such as published books and monographs, and chairing doctoral dissertations.
- Service – Includes significant work over an extended period of time on behalf of ISMS. Examples include senior editorial responsibilities in INFORMS journals (such as Editor-in-Chief of Marketing Science, marketing departmental editor of Management Science, area editor of Marketing Science) organizing the Marketing Science Conference and other ISMS and INFORMS conferences, and holding office in ISMS and INFORMS.
- Practice – Includes substantial application of OR/MS to significant practical problems within an organization of any type (e.g. academic, for-profit, nonprofit, governmental, military, health care), over an extended period of time, that have had a major impact internal and/or external to the organization. The ISMS Practice Prize and the Edelman Award will be duly recognized.
Contributions in all four categories will be evaluated in a compensatory way. Truly outstanding contributions in one category will also suffice. With rare exception, the nominee’s contributions should extend over a period of years and not be limited to a single result. Except for very rare cases, because the award recipient is named an ISMS Fellow, some service to ISMS is a prerequisite for all nominees.
Nomination letters should be accompanied by the nominee’s current vita as well as significant detail supporting the nomination. For example, for research this additional information might include citations or other indications of impact such as follow-on work, use in doctoral seminars, impact on the practice of marketing, etc. For education, it would be helpful to list doctoral students as well as any publications that have a strong educational content. For practice it would be useful to get someone within the organization to comment on the impact of the application. Service contributions should be self-evident, but it would still be useful to list them. Please limit the nomination letter to three pages or less. This page constraint does not include the current vita nor the supporting information.
The 2011 ISMS Marketing Science Fellows will be announced at the Marketing Science XXXIII Conference in Houston, Texas in June 2011.
Inaugural Fellows 2008
Frank M. Bass John Hauser Gary Lilien
John D.C. Little David B. Montgomery Donald Morrison
Steven Shugan* Richard Staelin* Charles Weinberg*
Fellows Class of 2009
Donald Lehmann* Seenu Srinivasan* Glen L. Urban*
Fellows Class of 2010
Josh Eliashberg* Dominique Hanssens* Roland Rust*
* denotes 2011 ISMS Marketing Science Fellows Selection Committee