Mass Customization WTP
Aurelie Merle seeks empirical work on willingness-to-pay for mass-customization or self-designed products for a meta-analysis
I am currently working on a meta-analysis of the willingness to pay a premium for mass-customization / self-design products.
We are meta-analyzing any empirical work that measures the willingness to pay for mass-customized /self-design products.
I am writing to the ELMAR members to ask you two things:
1. You will find below an initial list of published papers studying willingness to pay a premium for mass customization. I would really appreciate if you could inform me of any missing reference
2. If you have any unpublished studies on this topic, I hope you could share your findings with me
Please, do not hesitate to contact me if you have any question regarding this request.
This step is crucial to perform an accurate meta-analysis.
As such, I really appreciate any time and attention you might devote to the above requests.
Thank you very much for your help.
Aurelie Merle, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Marketing
Grenoble Ecole de Management
12 rue Pierre Semard
38002 Grenoble, France
0033 674 150 702
1. Franke, N., P. Keinz, and M. Schreier. 2008. Complementing Mass Customization Toolkits with User Communities: How Peer Input Improves Customer Self-Design. Journal of Product Innovation Management 25 (6):546-559.
2. Franke, N., P. Keinz, and C. J. Steger. 2009. Testing the Value of Customization: When Do Customers Really Prefer Products Tailored to Their Preferences? Journal of Marketing 73 (5):103-121.
3. Franke, N., and F. Piller. 2004. Value Creation by Toolkits for User Innovation and Design: The Case of the Watch Market. Journal of Product Innovation Management 21 (6):401-415.
4. Franke, N., and M. Schreier. 2008. Product uniqueness as a driver of customer utility in mass customization. Marketing Letters 19 (2):93.
5. ———. 2010. Why Customers Value Self-Designed Products: The Importance of Process Effort and Enjoyment. Journal of Product Innovation Management 27 (7):1020-1031.
6. Franke, N., M. Schreier, and U. Kaiser. 2010. The "I Designed It Myself" Effect in Mass Customization. Management Science 56 (1):125-140.
7. Merle, A., J.-L. Chandon, and E. Roux. 2008. Understanding the perceived value of mass customization: the distinction between product value and experiential value of co-design. Recherche et Applications en Marketing (English Edition) 23 (3):27-50.
8. Piller, F., F. Honigschmid, and F. Müller. 2002. Individuality and price: an exploratory study on consumer’s willingness to pay for customised products. In Working Papier n°28. Munich: Department for General and Industrial Management, TUM Business School.
9. Schreier, M. 2006. The value increment of mass-customized products: an empirical assessment. Journal of Consumer Behaviour 5 (4):317.